Thursday, January 9, 2014

Fitness Log: 1/9/2014 - Medicine Ball Tabata Workout


Feeling particularly feisty and buff this morning, I took on this Medicine Ball Tabata Workout by Pumps & Iron.  I pinned it a few weeks ago thinking, "Hmmm, I can do that!"

courtesy of Pumps&Iron

This workout is done in intervals.  20 seconds of activity, 10 seconds of rest... for 4 minutes straight for each exercise.  Pretty simple.  The author recommends using an interval clock.  I just used my stop watch on my iPhone and kept it within eyesight.  Easy peasy.  No extra equipment needed.

Except for your medicine ball.
Each one of these exercises was really straight forward.  The only exception that is the third move.  I found it to be IMPOSSIBLE!  My medicine ball isn't a "hard" ball.  It's soft with a sand weight inside.  The squishy nature of my ball made it extremely difficult to plant my foot on and use as a stabilizer.  Additionally, to put it bluntly, my butt is not strong enough to pull off this move.  I was overcompensating with my lower back, which is a BIG no-no.  That's an injury waiting to happen.

That being said, for the third exercise, I modified the move.  By "modified", I mean, I substituted with a simple bridge. I put my mind in the muscle and did some seriously glute work.  Seeeeerious work.  My booty already hurts and it's only been a few hours.  I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow.

Overall, it was a good workout.  A little wobbly at times, but my heart rate rocketed during the exercise and I can already feel the effects.  So it's a good day!  Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Keep Moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips