Saturday, May 2, 2015

Book Review :: "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain is a historical fiction about the marriage of Ernest and Hadley Hemingway.  The story starts at their first encounter and ends their journey at their last parting.  Told from Hadley's perspective, the reader gets to experience a classic, sweeping romance.  The story is only that much more intriguing if you know how it ends from the beginning.

I can't remember the last time I couldn't put a book down like this.  I was sneaking reads on my breaks and taking the book every where with me.  Knowing that Hadley was Hemingway's first wife made the book all that more intriguing because I was constantly waiting for her breaking point.  McLain did extensive research on the Hemingway's and it truly showed in her writing, which was colorful and engaging.

As a woman of my generation, I didn't necessarily find Hadley to be relatable but, simply, interesting.  I found her thought process to be frustrating, though incredibly historically accurate.  Being of an empowered generation, it is sometimes difficult to look back and relate to the behaviors and thoughts of women before me.  However, I have a deep appreciation for that, despite her time, Hadley still stood up for herself and her happiness in the end.  By the end of the novel, I found I had a great affection for her.  Team Hadley!

I highly recommend this book.  It's a great beach read AND a cozy by the fire book.  Check it out:




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips